Post #20: Help Ban Compound 1080

Hello and Happy Friday everyone…

I’m sorry for the sobering content of today’s post, but I felt it was just too important to pass up.

This female wolf, known only as 314F, was illegally killed by Wildlife Services in Colorado. She and the rest of her pack are fully protected animals – and yet 314F was carelessly poisoned by Wildlife Services officers.

Her death was exceptionally brutal because the particular poison that was used causes  convulsions, intense pain, dizziness, vomiting, disorientation and uncontrollable running.

314F, who had traveled some 1000 miles from her home in Montana, on a sort of “wolf vacation,”  was just another unfortunate and innocent victim killed by a chemical called Compound 1080.

Compound 1080 has been classified as a chemical weapon in several countries, and yet it is now legally used by the Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services to kill coyotes in nine states.

Wildlife Services perform these killings, known as “predator controlling,” as a way to control population and help prevent any negative coyote-human interaction. Coyotes have been known to venture into neighborhoods and cause serious damage – from ruining a yard or a flowerbed to killing a family pet.

However, Compound 1080 doesn’t always reach their intended victims. Sodium cyanide — another highly toxic poison — kills hundreds of non-target animals each year. Protected wolves, rare swift foxes and even hundreds of pet dogs have been killed by baited traps that are left unattended.

This info was taken from PredatorDefense.org:

One teaspoon of Compound 1080 could kill 100 people. And there is no known antidote. It is colorless, has no odor or taste, and it dissolves easily in water. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has placed sodium fluoroacetate—Compound 1080—in the Toxicity Category I indicating the highest degree of acute toxicity, for acute oral toxicity.

Once exposed, victims of 1080 poisoning die slowly. Symptoms are not immediate—they being to appear half an hour or more after exposure and may last from hours to days. Symptoms typically include a cycle of repeated vomiting, involuntary hyperextension of the limbs, convulsions, and collapse. Victims can also experience heightened anxiety, hallucination, intense pain, and deep depression. Compound 1080 is so potent that animals eating tainted carcasses—even months after that animal has died—can succumb to secondary poisoning.

Good lord. The fact that this chemical has even killed family pets is unconscionable. One couple witnessed the horrifying and sudden death death of their beloved dog, Bea. While on a camping trip in northern Utah, they took a hike and came upon a sheep carcass. Bea inspected it briefly, as any dog would, and they continued on their way. Less than one hour later Bea, a normally exuberant and joyful young dog, was starting to behave very strangely. In an excerpt from a letter they shared publicly, they describe their tragic ordeal:

Later at camp further downstream, we were totally mystified as Bea went from a dog calmly lying around camp through a progression of ever more bewildering symptoms. After seeing her heaving and trying to vomit, she suddenly jumped into Brooke’s lap with a scream of pure terror. She then charged around camp, jumping in and out of the raft, crying and yelping in a frenzy of fright and pain. Our efforts
to calm her had no effect. She ran a high speed circuit around camp, accidentally slamming into our friend sitting in a chair, then launched off the raft into the river and started swimming for the opposite shore (totally uncharacteristic for this dog).

Our frantic calls were ignored as the current carried her downstream. She finally turned back towards our side of the river, but when she reached shore, she raced away from us. We found her collapsed under a bush in violent convulsions with a frightening stare, pounding heart, gagging and gulping for air. After 15 more minutes of this agony, Bea died and her body immediately became very rigid. We carried her stiff, lifeless body back to camp and buried it under a cottonwood tree. Bea was a very valuable dog in the prime of her life and her sudden death was totally devastating and heartbreaking for us.

Unbeknown to Bea’s mom and dad, Brooke and Cliff Everest, the sheep carcass she had so innocently sniffed was laced with – yep, you guessed it: Compound 1080.

The continued availability of Compound 1080 poses a threat to people, pets and homeland security. Government reports have concluded that Wildlife Services has been unable to account for stockpiles of the toxins, which leaves the hazardous materials vulnerable to undetected theft and unauthorized use.

There are effective alternatives to Compound 1080 and other wildlife poisons, including a wide range of proactive, nonlethal methods for protecting livestock such as fencing, guard animals,  non-lethal ammunition and improved animal husbandry.

And the real kicker? Predator controlling is federally funded – which means our tax dollars!

You can help stop the use of Compound 1080 by visiting this page. I urge you to please, please, pleeeeease take five minutes of your time to help ban this horrible chemical for the safety of our people, our pets and our wildlife.

In other news…

Happy Friday!!!!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: